I remember being in a meeting. Stomach growling. Cramps. All from eating lunch…
I’d literally have to eat and race to the loo. I always thought this was ‘normal’. “The way I am”…
Until I met my wife haha ( too much info…)
Little did I know how much this could contribute to not just discomfort but my energy and skin issues too.
And I know a few of the ladies I work with get bloating, cramps, irritable bowels, constipation…
It’s one of those things that’s not really talked about.
can stop you absorbing the nutrition you need to have energy
And even cause stress (or does the stress cause the issue…that’s one for another day. Chicken and egg)
So, I’m putting together a little tip sheet to help you overcome this with sample meal plans and
I get how frustrating it is when you’re feeling crap (pun intended 💩 ) and you’re told to just ‘eat more fibre’….
As this can actually have the REVERSE effect (according to a lot of research)
Now, a lot of the advice out there is super confusing. They give you long lists of foods you can’t eat. But – ultimately – what I love about science is that it gives you PRINCIPLES that work, but how you use them is up to you…
So, after consulting with dietitian, Mike Sweeney, who’s helped thousands of people in his clinics in the NHS with IBS, here’s a few of the more simple tips:
1) Most Fats. e.g. from sources like olive oil, avocado oily fish, yoghurt, butter, eggs, nuts will not ferment and cause symptoms for MOST people.
So, these can be included as PART of your diet with few symptoms
2) Foods high in protein, like meats (chicken, lamb, beef), fish, eggs, and yoghurt do not ferment either so are good to be included as part of a diet for most people.
Nuts and seeds also have SOME protein, albeit in lesser amounts.
3) Most veggies are OK –– some to watch if you are suffering are:
broccoli, chickpeas, lentils, legumes, cabbage, and sprouts….🌪
If you’re struggling with constipation, try 3 tbsp of sweetcorn and 2 tbsp of linseeds / flaxseed into your diet, whether that’s flaxseed with yoghurt or sweetcorn in a salad…;-)
4) Carbs – THIS is the most important part to dealt with bloating and cramps etc.
Try carbs that do not really ferment, such as jasmine rice, sweet potatoes, rice noodles, rice pasta, or any corn based carb
Now that’s a rundown of the key nutrients that could be having an impact,
But what if the summons were could be eased with more simple swaps?
1) Avoid spicy food – This can speed up how quickly foods goes through you…
2) Limit caffeine – Can increase stress hormone, leading to gut issues…
3) Chew MORE – Sounds simple, but when comparing those who chewed their food 10 times compared to 40 times, chewing only 10 times led to increased malabsorption with can irritate the gut due to size of the food from malabsorption.
4) Drink more fluids – If you have eaten more fibre or had a large meal…drinking more water can help, especially if you feel bloated / blocked.
5) try yoga or meditation – this has been shown to have a positive impact on IBS. It’s why we have yoga and meditation inside our 28 Day Kickstart
What about lactose intolerance?
Here is a test you can do at home:
1) Buy some normal dairy milk and buy some lactose FREE milk.
2) Get your other half to pour you around 300ml of one of the milks so you don’t know which one you are having (but they do)
3) See how you feel for 3 days.
4) Do it again making sure your other half gives you the other milk.
5) See how you feel for 3 days.
I will say that sometimes IBS / bloating can occur from simply a high volume of food in one sitting.
Maybe you eat too many ‘free foods’ and not enough water?
This is where developing a positive relationship with food might help.
And if you want to delve in deeper with this, I interviewed dietitian, Mike Sweeney, on this exact topic here:
Podcast with Dietitian, Mike Sweeney, on IBS and Bloatin: I go into detail on this with UK Registered Dietitian, Mike Sweeney in this podcast episode here:
(He’s helped thousands of people with digestive issues with his clinics in the NHS)
If on Android, https://open.spotify.com/episode/0xuJrfToajmkqhapSRiZ2t
Matt ‘full of 💩’ Fruci