And lose fat once and for all…
YES, 101 ways!
I get it…this ‘toning up’ game can seem CONFUSING…
You’re thinking about trying one of those detox smoothie diets but worried about giving up your chocolate and the wine
^^^ I’ve tried them, too.
You’re sucked in by the celebs in shape telling you it’s easy…
^^^ the same people who don’t understand that YOU have a busy life, enjoy eating out, don’t have 24/7 child care, barely get time to SLEEP, and DON’T WANT TO SPEND HOURS IN THE GYM…
And what’s worse is all the mags telling you that all you have to eat ‘clean’, drink a green smoothie, and sip on cabbage soup
^^^^ NOT FOR ME EITHER
Before, I go on…
This losing weight and keeping it off (once and for all) does take some effort.
In fact, it can actually be one of the most frustrating (yet liberating) journeys you embark on.
You might get frustrated at times, especially when starting out.
But like anything that WORKS…you have to be consistent!
You don’t just do it for 2 days and say “it didn’t work”
So be sure to share these with your friends and family because even one of these tips might just help them to be healthier, fitter and – dare I say it – happier…
1. Don’t ditch the foods you love, just include them in appropriate amounts
2. Fill your plate with foods that take up a lot of space for a small amount of calories
3. Don’t lose faith. Fail on a diet? It’s probably not you, but rather the diet you’re following does NOT fit your lifestyle. Start again!
4. Build up your exercise habits over time. Don’t go from zero to hero.
5. Eating less WILL help you lose weight
6. Don’t just drastically cut your food intake…small changes can have a big difference and WILL make your diet more sustainable (so you can keep the weight off)
7. Set a 90 day OUTCOME that you want. Where do you need to be at 30 days and 60 days to hit this 90 days?
8. Fibrous foods, like veggies, will fill you up and help control your snacking habits
9. PLAN your meals for the week (this will also reduce your shopping bill…remember the last time you ‘nipped’ to Waitrose and spent £20?)
10. 80% of the foods you eat should be whole, one ingredient foods that are minimally processed
11. The rest (20%) can come from anything YOU like (yes, you are in control)
12. Resistance exercise (be it body weight or using weights) will help you change your body shape and fit your clothes better…It’s a thumbs up from me!
13. Doing cardio can help you lose fat…but can be time consuming and is NOT as effective as a solid diet!
14. Eat your protein…it’s the most filling type of food you can eat (examples are meats, fish, eggs and dairy)
15. Don’t skip your fruit and veggies (research shows if you eat your 5 a day, you reduce your risk of disease AND are more likely to lose weight and keep it off)
16. Don’t just exercise for weight loss…it helps your immune system so you beat the common cold and be more productive with your time and energy
17. You don’t need to ‘diet’ forever
18. Take breaks from your diet every few weeks to ‘reset’ things
19. Wait 20 minutes before going for seconds at the dinner table
20. Focus on getting more energy and sleeping better BEFORE trying to lose fat and you’ll have an easier time (this will involve eating more nutritious foods)
21. Drink water and stay hydrated (you might mistaken thirst for hunger)
22. Drink coffee. Nothing else needed. It’s awesome.
23. Just avoid the caffeinated tea and coffee after 4pm to help you get into deep sleep (which improves your ability to handle sugar and fat)
24. Simple, easy swaps like whole milk for semi skimmed, double cream for single cream, and sugar for stevia can make a HUGE difference (as much as 25 lbs of fat in a year…)
25. Know that crawling out of an exercise session doesn’t mean you’re doing it right (especially when you reward yourself with Ben & Jerry’s)
26. See exercise as your opportunity to build a strong, fit and powerful body…not as a punishment for eating that double choc fudge brownie
27. Food is fuel for your life
28. Monkey say, monkey do…Your kids, partner and friends will mirror what and how you eat
29. Do NOT expect yourself to be perfect. Slip up? Just go again. It’s done!
30. Don’t like veggies? Boil, steam, fry, mash, grill, spirialise a different veggie and experiment. It takes 13 times before you can really say if you ‘like it’ or not
31. Aim to hit 10k steps a day
32. Take the stairs instead of the lift whenever you can
33. Drink coffee. It’s awesome.
34. Snack on a square of dark chocolate (75% and above) after or in-between your meal to give you that sweet hit
35. Make low fat Greek yoghurt like Total or Skyr your best friend (filling, full of protein and low in calories)
36. Coffee keeps hunger under control
37. Don’t be obsessed by the scales.
38. Until you’re doing the SMALL things right consistently, I wouldn’t even worry about your weight
39. Don’t make drastic changes to your diet. Sometimes a small tweak is all that’s needed to kickstart your fat loss.
40. Make yourself accountable – tell your friends, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, your dog, or even tweet Joe Wicks and tell him what you’re doing
41.Enjoy the ride and focus on the process, NOT the destination.
42. Make better choices when eating out OR just lower your intake around these situations to give your more flexibility (YES, you CAN drink your prosecco and lose fat!!)
43. You don’t have to count calories (it might help you, though)
44. There’s many ways to skin a cat and the best diet is the one that you’ll do
45. Carbs can keep you full, give your more energy and help to boost your metabolism
46. Cutting your fat too low can lead to hormonal dysregulation
47. Good sources of fat include olive oils, avocado, coconut oil, eggs, and oily fish
48. All fats provide the same amount of energy…overeat them and you WILL get fat (even if they’re ‘healthy’)
49. Take waist measurements
50. Take progress pictures so you look back at how far you’ve come. This is great for getting you out of a rut when you lose motivation and think about STOPPING!
51.Don’t do a Great British Bake Off marathon on a Sunday afternoon…
52. Fill your plate with salad and veggies (try having a big bowl before your meal with a glass of water)
53. Make drinking a glass of water the first thing you do when waking up
54.Write 3 things you’re grateful for every day and followed by 3 things you MUST do that day for yourself.
55. Give yourself some love
56. You’re an incredible human being. Know that. And know that investing in your health is any investment in your work, family, productivity and happiness.
57. Helping others will make you happy
58. Buy a dog…you’ll lose weight!
59. Write down 3 reasons why you’re snacking…are you actually hungry?
60. Notice when you snack. Stressed? tired?
61. Don’t just eat ‘healthy’ foods…you can still overeat them. Eat the appropriate amount for you!
62. Repeat after me…Coffee is great.
63. Just because you ditch the carbs from a meal…it doesn’t mean it will help you lose fat (especially if you chuck a load of avocado, nuts and cheese in there…)
64. Avocado and nuts may be ‘healthy fats’ but they are high in calories and easy to overeat
65. Fat burners are a great way to make your wallet leaner
66. Dont leave chocolate or cereal out on the side (on average, you’ll be 10 lbs heavier…)
67. Don’t dwell on setbacks, it’s a part of the process and a great opportunity to LEARN
68. REWARD yourself…but not always with food. Go for spa break. Watch a movie (not Bridget Jones).
69. Put your lower calorie treats at the front of the cupboard (your 3 times more likely to eat them than the 5th item you see)
70. Keep 6 protein rich, filling foods handy – greek yoghurt, boiled eggs, smoked salmon, cooked chicken, protein shake etc.
71. Eat slowly and CHEW…
72. Sit down at the dinner table and eat.
73. Don’t watch tv whilst you eat (or read blogs by me…)
74. Go for a walk after eating
75. Phone up a friend and see if they want to come with you on your fat loss journey (it’s easier to lose fat with friends)
76. Write down EXACTLY what will improve when you lose fat (e.g. more confident, more sex, more productive, better sleep, better clothes, more energy)
77. Tell yourself…YOU CAN DO THIS!
78. Use 1 kcal cooking spray (it’s a simple swap that could make a huge difference)
79. Make your meals look good #FoodPorn
80. Swap for a skinny latte
81. PLAN YOUR MEALS
82. You probably don’t have stubborn fat, just keep going. It takes time!
83. Feeling ill? Take a break. Nourish your body and feel awesome again. You’re no good to anyone without your health
84. Everything you do is your choice.
85. Do high intensity exercise to save time…try 10 seconds high knees, followed by 10 seconds rest for 5 minutes.
86. Do low intensity exercise to destress…a walk outside in the fresh air will burn calories and make you feel awesome.
87. Get some headspace. Take 5 minutes out of your day and BREATHE. Download the free app: Headspace (thank me later)
88. Season your foods…you’ll realise you don’t always need a sugary, fatty sauce!
89. You can’t choose where you lose fat from
90. You CAN enhance areas of your body to make them appear less fat and more toned
91. Try Twinings Choc nutty tea (it’s awesome and basically calorie free)
92. There’s no such thing as a magic bullet
93. If you’re relying on willpower, you’re probably setting yourself up to fail
94. Know that your metabolism is not BROKEN…
95. Whole fruit is better than fruit juice
96. Eating late at night doesn’t mean you store more fat
97. There are no ‘bad’ foods…only bad ‘diets’
98. Exercise alone is a bad way to lose weight
99. Have I mentioned my love for coffee?
100. Still unsure? See a nutritionist
101. And get a coach
Its not easy.
Share these with your friends and family because even one of these tips might just help them to be healthier, fitter and – dare I say it – happier…
Matt ‘101’ Fruci
PS. If you want to learn more – for free – you can grab my free cheat sheet >>>