You know, how they tell you that you HAVE to eat it to ‘spike your metabolism’ or that ‘you’ll go into starvation mode and store loads of fat on your stomach’
Truth is: The research shows there is NO change in your metabolism or weight loss whether you eat breakfast or not
I’m all for routine. In fact, it’s something I’m pretty big on.
You do not have to eat breakfast to lose weight if it doesn’t fit your lifestyle
^^^ Maybe you’re up super early, value an extra 20 minute in bed or prefer to eat more later when you’re actually hungry
But what actually is breakfast (this might surprise you…)
You see, most people see breakfast as the meal they eat when they first get up
But it is actually defined as ‘breaking a fast’
The first meal you eat. So – technically – eating your first meal at 12pm still means you had ‘breakfast’ as you are ‘breaking your fast’
Why you SHOULD eat breakfast?
1) It might stop you grabbing anything high fat / sugary on-the-go
2) You can often choose what you want to eat in the morning as you’re likely to be at home so can pick nutritious foods that keep you going for longer and stop you snacking (get your vitamins and minerals in)
3) I had a fry up yesterday (kept me full all day until our roast dinner…yet we call a fry up unhealthy???)
Why breakfast might not be for you…
1) You’re busy in the morning and food just isn’t a priority for you as you’re not hungry and won’t enjoy your food
2) You prefer to eat a bigger meal in the evening and want to balance your intake throughout the day
^^ Something I often do when eating a bigger meal later or up early and out and about…
So what do I do? And what do I recommend to others?
You see, it depends
^^^ Like most of things when it comes to diet, losing weight, and toning up
on your lifestyle, work, schedule and preferences.
Basically, whatever helps you stick to a small calorie deficit (if fat loss is your goal especially)
And whichever gives you MORE energy (if fitness is your goal)…
Thing is, we ARE NOT programmed to find it easy to lose weight in this world today where food is available so easily..
And we just don’t need to move so much anymore, whether that is work or just day to day..
We are then up against EXTREMIST views on nutrition
Which – I guess – mean well..
But actually confuse people even more.
I mean, I can feel my passion coming out now..
But when you make GENERAL statements about nutrition..
Without any caveats
Without any PERSONALISATION..
About the person..
It becomes dangerous..
I see it all of the time.
People start to blame themselves..
‘Try a bit harder next week’
Without looking deep into this.
Yes, we all have to take some responsibility…
This also screws people over
When they are following blanket advice
As they feel like they are doing everything right…
Anyway, that’s it from me