So every week
I get the ladies on our Fit For Life Programme to check in with me
The focus is on the process — AKA
^^^ After all, what you have done DAILY for the last 30, 60, 90 days etc…is a lag indictor of your results today with your body, mindset, work, relationships etc…
Now some of the ladies track their weight
(they’ve scarred by the focus on the scales for too long and just want to FEEL BETTER, fit their clothes better and make every day tasks easier…)
But one thing I’ve noticed about those who do track weight..
Is how emotionally attached we can get to the number…
and how just this number can dictate what you think, how you FEEL and ultimately what you do and your results!!.
Why is this significant?
Well, your weight can fluctuate up to 4lbs on a daily anyway…
time of the day
That’s right, if you’re like me and struggle with sleep, maybe you have 2 babies under 3 haha
you might be used to surviving off little sleep…
You might even notice that when you sleep a bit more (if you’re lucky)
You lose MORE WEIGHT
1) You’ve been sleeping longer, which means you’re more dehydrated in the morning when you step on the scales
2) your stress hormones DECREASE 🙂
And on that note, here’s 7 things you can do that might help your sleep:
1) Focus on your breathing before bed – Even if it’s just for 1 minute. Try 4 breaths in and 6 breaths out. If you notice your mind wonder? don’t worry. Just come back in and focus on counting your breaths. Struggle with this? Try the app, Headspace, even for 3 minutes.
2) Drink a hot decaffeinated drink before bed – hot milk, camomile tea, peppermint tea (Not the Bootea stuff as it contains caffeine which is all good..but might stop you getting into a deep sleep)
3) Don’t drink too much (wine included) before bed – Now, this might seem to contradict point 2, but if you find yourself up in the middle of the night at 323am needing a wee? This might help. Magnesium citrate MAY help with a weak bladder, too (see your GP)
4) Eat CARBS before bed / with your evening meal – I know, I know. Completely against what you’ve heard in the past about it being stored as fat. But carbs may actually help you sleep (just remember that overall calories are king when it comes to weight loss…so perhaps save some carbs for later)
5) Avoid TV / phones / emails too close to bed – The blue light from screens can make your body think it’s day time and stop you producing the hormones that help wind you down for sleep and help you recover.
6) Be Regular – go to bed and get up at the same time each day
7) Do some exercise – There’s no perfect time for it. Try getting some light in your day. A walk at lunch time. Park further away (in fact, daily movement that you do as part of your day is so underestimated in weight loss FULL STOP)
Unfortunately, sleep is something that you just can’t get around.
I’m an early bird so unless I get to bed early, I will always be up early and be irritable later in the day as a result.
So I have to set some rules about logging off of emails / social media or I’ll find myself scrolling in bed, struggling to get to sleep as my brain goes in to overdrive about new ideas and things I can add in to our Fit For Life Body Transformation Programme.
I just start making up loads of worries. That when I dig deeper, are totally made up by me and do not even exist.
After all, its never ‘the thing’ that causes you stress, but rather your thoughts about ‘the thing’ AKA you make it scarier than it actually is with your imaginative brain.
Anyway, I just wanted to leave you with something that I hope motivates you, but may offend you (as when someone said it to me, although it did motivate me, it was a kick in the teeth, too):
“YOU HAVE THE LIFE YOU’RE WILLING TO PUT UP WITH”
But it got me thinking, If I’m not happy right now, it’s because I’m willing to put up with it.
If I’m not confident about the way I look, its because I’m willing to put up with it.
If I’m not as fit as I want to be…it’s because I’m willing to put up with it.
So what can both me and you do?
BE UNWILLING TO PUT UP WITH IT
Refuse to tolerate where you’re at any longer. That’s pretty much it. That little shift in your mindset.
Matt ‘sleeping beauty’ Fruci
So every week