He wakes up every morning. Brushing each of his 32 teeth, 76 times.
He would do his tie in a single knot rather than a double knot to save up to 43 seconds.
This is how the film, ‘Stranger than Fiction’ starts.
You have Will Ferrell playing a guy who has an insanely STRICT and RIGID routine
And it reminded me about what you’re often told about:
‘the most important meal of the day’ AKA Breakfast
Most slimming clubs will tell you that you HAVE to eat it to ‘spike your metabolism’ or that ‘you’ll go into starvation mode and store loads of fat on your stomach’
Truth is: The research shows there is NO change in your metabolism or weight loss whether you eat breakfast or not
I’m all for routine. In fact, it’s something I’m pretty big on.
You do not have to eat breakfast to lose weight if it doesn’t fit your lifestyle
^^^ Maybe you’re up super early, value an extra 20 minute in bed or prefer to eat more later when you’re actually hungry
But what actually is breakfast (this might surprise you…)
You see, most people see breakfast as the meal they eat when they first get up
But it is actually defined as ‘breaking a fast’
The first meal you eat. So – technically – eating your first meal at 12pm still means you had ‘breakfast’ as you are ‘breaking your fast’
Why you SHOULD eat breakfast?
1) It might stop you grabbing anything high fat / sugary on-the-go
2) You can often choose what you want to eat in the morning as you’re likely to be at home so can pick nutritious foods that keep you going for longer and stop you snacking (get your vitamins and minerals in)
Why breakfast might not be for you…
1) You’re busy in the morning and food just isn’t a priority for you as you’re not hungry and won’t enjoy your food
2) You prefer to eat a bigger meal in the evening and want to balance your intake throughout the day
^^ Something I often do when eating out BIG to compensate
3) Maybe when you eat breakfast, you are hungry a few hours later (cereal is a great a one to trigger my hunger…)
Do I eat breakfast?
You see, it depends on my schedule.
what I’ve got on in the evening, meals out, how busy my morning is, can I grab something a bit later mid morning?
^^^ Like most of things when it comes to diet, losing weight, and toning up..it depends on your lifestyle, work, schedule and preferences.
So just ask yourself THESE TWO questions before deciding whether breakfast works for you & your health, weight loss and fitness goals:
1.Will eating breakfast today mean that I eat more over the day or eat less?
2. Will eating breakfast today actually make me feel better and give me more or less energy?
You see, if you’ve struggled before with this healthy eating, weight loss and exercise stuff…
That’s OK because it probably wasn’t your fault…
Perhaps you followed something that was ‘cookie-cutter’ & simple not personalised for your lifestyle, work, family commitments etc…
After all, to progress..you just have to be a little bit better today than you were yesterday..
Despite what they say
it’s not about banning foods, demonising them or basing your results and happiness on a once a week weigh in at 7 pm…
(which can fluctuate up to 4lbs every day just simply based on water, salt, exercise habits, how much fibre you ate, sleep, stress.. I could go on..)
Matt ‘breakfast?’ Fruci